London Pioneer College is Registered by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) based in Barking, London to provide immigration advice and services for British Citizenship Applications.


British Citizenship (Adults)

Under the British Nationality Act 1981 – People not born in UK and have come here to settle can apply to become British Citizens.

First you must check to see if you can apply:

There are different ways to become a British citizen. The most common is called ‘naturalisation’.

You can apply for British citizenship by naturalisation if:

  • you’re 18 or over
  • you’re of good character, for example, you don’t have a serious or recent criminal record, and you haven’t tried to deceive the Home Office or been involved in immigration offences in the last 10 years
  • you’ll continue to live in the UK
  • you’ve met the knowledge of English and life in the UK requirements
  • you meet the residency requirement

And you must usually have:

  • lived in the UK for at least the 5 years before the date of your application
  • spent no more than 450 days outside the UK during those 5 years
  • spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months
  • had settlement (‘indefinite leave to remain’) in the UK for the last 12 months if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
  • had permanent residence status for the last 12 months if you’re a citizen of an EEA country – you need to provide a permanent residence document
  • not broken any immigration laws while in the UK

There are different requirements if your spouse or civil partner is a British citizen.


Call us to book a free 10 minute consultation to find out if you can apply to become British. 0208 594 0036


The above information is correct at the time of publishing and for up to date information please check Home Office website or call us.